Thursday, December 16, 2010

AMC

             A channel that used to be known for just playing movies, has suddenly become the channel that constantly puts out the best programming. For me it started with The Walking Dead. For others it started with Mad Men, or maybe Breaking Bad. All I can say is that I am new to this channel, but am extremely happy with what I have seen to this point.
             The Walking Dead has proven to be my favorite new show on TV with only 6 episodes under it's belt. With no new episodes to debut until next October, they were able to reel me in. I am not the only one either. Mad Men has won numerous Emmys and so has Breaking Bad, yet the highest watched show is The Walking Dead. What? That's crazy! It has also just received a Golden Globe nomination for Best TV Series Drama. Let me state again that this is only after SIX (6) episodes. Wow pretty impressive. I certainly hope that all the time off that this show will take doesn't hurt it in any way. My hope is that it makes it stronger. Hopefully AMC will re air the episodes later on to hook people after the awards seasons have come and gone. So that when the new season airs in October there will be that many more people waiting in anticipation of what will happen next.
            But this is not just about The Walking Dead. This is about AMC. I can say that now I cannot wait to start watching Mad Men. That's correct I have such high praise for AMC and haven't even started Mad Men! The thing is, it gets all sorts of praise from the real critics that I know its a great show. I will watch it ASAP. I can say that I don't need the critics to tell me, but in this case it's not just the critics that say this. It's anybody that has seen the show. Anybody that I have talked with tells me how much I would love the show and how much they love it already. To them I say, I'm sorry I haven't seen it yet but I will. And I will.
             The final show that AMC is known for now is Breaking Bad. I literally just started to watch this show and already cannot wait to finish watching it. Quite a boundary pushing show. I am only an episode into it, but I can already say that so far I "like it a lot" (Forrest Gump quote). Bryan Cranston's character is a very relatable character. Whether you agree with what he is doing or not, you can understand the importance and the need that his character is experiencing. I can't say much about this show as I am just a newcomer to it, but I can say that it will have me coming back for more.
            AMC has put out three great shows, which is not much when compared to the major networks, but these three shows may be just enough to propel this channel into a major competitor. The shows that I have seen on AMC are risky, and edgy, but never, so far, do they seem over the top. Besides the whole zombie thing. It's the characters that make it real. The situations in which the characters must work are not everyday situations, but these are everyday people. That's what I love about what I have seen. The boundaries are being pushed, and the ideas are new and fresh. I certainly hope that AMC can continue on in this way.  I will continue to tune in, as long as they continue to put out quality. If they can, then they can consider me an avid watcher of their channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment