Sunday, November 28, 2010

Bruno Vs. Borat

            OK so not really a battle, but none the less an entertaining comparison to be made. Personally I feel that Borat was the more entertaining of the two, as well as just overall a better movie. Now that could be due to Borat coming out first, but it still stands to be the way I feel. Having not ever really watched Da Ali G show, I cannot claim that I had a connection with these characters prior to their respective movies. So my like is on first time shock and awe value, as well as pure laugh ratio, and all around enjoyment.
            They both did an excellent job of making you feel uncomfortable both as the viewer, and for the unfortunate souls that ended up being the butt of the joke. Both did a wonderful job of tackling the issues of pointing out the things that make us, as a country, not always look like the most intelligent country that we claim we are. Now I'm not saying that we are stupid, but I am saying there are some things we, as Americans, feel that we know are the right things to do, and that we know what should be done. That is clearly pointed out to be not true in both movies. And finally, they both do an incredible job of putting the title character into the worst possible situation, where at times you feel that they may not make it out alive.
            Now where I feel the differ is simply Borat was funnier, and since it was the first to use the uncomfortable situation, it to is the better of the two. Scenes for both had a similar feel, and I find myself comparing them whether it is what one should do or not. I feel that the comparisons are there and are ours for the making. Not that they should be compared, but when you have such similarities one cannot help themselves in making said comparison.
           What does all of this mean? All it means is that I enjoyed both of the movies, but that Borat wins the battle by a slight margin.

3 comments:

  1. So Mr.Manning, I suppose I should putmy 2 cents in here.

    Alex and I just finished Bruno. I hadn't seen it yet. I laughed so hard through out the entire movie that I literally had sore cheeks. There is no point in putting a "for example" scene here because there is just way to way many to pick from. I was pleasantly surprised because I own Borat on dvd and love it so much that going INTO bruno I knew it didn't stand a chance. My loyalty stood with Borat and it didn't matter anyway because there was no way in hell it could ever even compare. Well, I wa wrong and it did. Can I say it was better? No. But since it is still so fresh in my head I would probably say yes if I had a gun to my head. If the funny scale's arrow goes up on laughs alone, then our laughter last night was "off the charts".....But like I said, this is a opinion because Bruno is still in my head. perhaps it would only be truly fair if I watched them back to back and decided. It IS LIKE YOU SAID in the sense that there is NO WAY you can't compare. You have to. And I think that's his intention. One thing that is not up for debate. Sasha Baron Cohen is one funny mother fucker of our time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you say. Most importantly with you saying the Bruno is fresh in your head. I chose to take several days before I wrote about these two. Having the same initial reaction as you, that Bruno may be funnier, I let the movie rest on my mind. As I slowly started to compare them in my mind, I realized that Borat was the winner. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The truly important thing is that this man is making movies/tv shows. Since you enjoyed these films, you and Maggie should really borrow Da Ali G show I have on dvd and do a good ol marathon. I think some of his best shit is in the first season. When he was really just begining to develop these characters. And TRUST~ you will fall in love with Ali G just as much, if not more then Borat and Bruno.

    ReplyDelete