Saturday, May 28, 2011

Unfair Exit

         The time has come for a new blog. I write, having recently finished two shows that were not given the much needed attention that they deserved. There have been many shows that were mistreated, however here I am only going to focus on two specific ones. Feel free to leave a comment with your favorites.
          The first of the two that I am going to talk about is a show called "Life". It was on NBC for two seasons from Sept 2007 until April of 2009. Two seasons is very unfortunate for such a great show. The premise of the show was, a police officer is wrongfully accused of murder and spends 12 years in jail only to be exonerated when new evidence comes to light. He is let out with quite a hefty sum, as well as getting to be a detective once again. He becomes very philosophical, and he starts to unravel the mystery surrounding his wrongful imprisonment. He partners up with a young lady that is getting a chance to prove that her drug addiction is over and she can be a great detective.
          I have to tell you first off that I watched the first couple of episodes when they first aired. Unfortunately life happened and I found myself not watching, or even thinking about this show again. Until a friend of mine reminded me about the show. Thanks to Hulu, I was able to watch all of the episodes, and I have to tell you, I am sorry I missed it. A show this good didn't deserve to be cancelled. It had fantastic cases, that were being solved. The main characters had a wonderful love hate relationship as he always annoyed her with his Zen attitude. It was that very thought process that helped him to be a great detective, as he would spout off things like " everything is connected".
         My love for the main characters only helped drive my love for the show. However, the thing that kept me coming back show after show, was the way he pieced the puzzle together to figure out why he was framed. The whole process was so fun to watch, because each time it hit you with one more unexpected twist. It had me constantly guessing and routing for him, but it also left you wondering all the same questions that he would ask.
        The show was easy for me to invest my time and energy into because the characters were so damn likable, the plot was so incredibly woven together, and each episode was its own little slice of fun. I can say that I miss this show and wish that it had a second chance.
          The second show that was mistreated, by Showtime, was a show, which I talked about a couple of blogs ago, called Jeremiah. Thanks to the magic of Netflix, I was able to find this hidden gem.  This show demanded to be treated better, but must have been completely mishandled. It aired on Showtime from March of 2002 until January of 2004. A post apocalyptic world that must rebuild from a disaster. I know what you are thinking here we go again, not quite. A different spin. Instead of just people surviving after a nuclear war, or something like that, it was about anybody being over the age of innocence dying, and leaving children to find the way for themselves.
           Towns are run by gangsters, or thieves, or nobody in some cases. But who is going to rebuild? People are out for power for themselves, but can they work together to bring civilization back to what it used to be? Questions like these are what made the show tick. Heroes, and villains. Good versus evil. And through it all we follow two people lost, that form an unlikely bond, to help bring the world back as they knew it from when they were young. The show explores the dynamics of how people treat people, how power can corrupt some, but there are some that would do anything to help everybody.
          The main characters, Jeremiah and Kurdy, played by Luke Perry and Malcolm-Jamal Warner, are heroes without wanting to be. Jeremiah is a man trying to find something from his past that may lead to finding his father that is most likely dead, but never giving up on the thought that he might be alive. He carries the weight of his brothers death on his shoulders, and has a hard time allowing anybody into his life. He wanders from town to town looking for information and nothing more. Kurdy is a man of mysterious past, and what looks to be a rough future. He too wanders from town to town, but more out of boredom then anything else. In his own way he too is searching for answers. He starts out as a very rough around the edges character, and that part always remains with him. When he and Jeremiah become friends, you start to see more to him than just the tough guy he seems to be.  He has a love for history, and is an avid reader, as well as poetic. They form a relationship that transcends race, religion, ethnicity, but stands for one thing alone: a trust in each other. They learned that no matter what, they had each others back, even when people are dying all around them. They become ambassadors for the new world. They become more then just people looking for answers, but people that others start to look for to help them with their questions. They help to take the steps to rebuilding the world with many others and a man named Marcus.
He leads the people not through fear, but through unity. His plan is to gather the people together. To become a stronger nation then the one that was destroyed. He doesn't do it for the glory, he does it for the need. People want a better world, but they don't know how to get it. His leadership is what fuels the people to rebuild, better then before.
           I found a love for this show, and I hope that others do as well. From the main characters to the supporting, including a new character played by Sean Astin.  Through the premise and delivery, this show has become one that I am so grateful for finding. The story is great, and so are the characters. I only wish that there was more for me to watch.
         There are some shows that go on and on and on. Some that I like, some that I don't care for. These two are missed greatly, and I never really watched them when they aired. I am thankful that I was able to find them and watch them fully. Although they didn't make it passed a second season, it goes to show you that, sometimes, it's better to have an unfair exit, then an overdue one.

No comments:

Post a Comment